Saturday 26 March 2011

Almost There

Saturday night and I'm on the couch with my foot wrapped in a an ice pack, reflecting on the past few months of training and reading about the details of the Brighton Marathon weekend.

I would like to thank Calida for her crazy night time training runs in Marlow, Buckinghamshire -- I only did this once! I finished 8 miles with mud filled shoes, possible manure to my knees as I did a lot of slipping and sliding on muddy hills and farm land..I even ended in a barbed wire fence and thorn bush. It was great fun and with moon lit pathways and with the aid of a head torch it was just the kick I needed to get my training in over drive.

I have had unbelievable support over the past few months from friends and family both near and far. My Americain friend and collegue Rosa completed a 17 mile run with me. Mark helped me finish a 20 mile training run by joining me on his bike for the last 9 miles. He was even my body guard against neighbourhood punks making fun of me or as the English say 'taking the mic'.

I have ran my first official half marathon in Lydd, Kent finishing in a time of 1:57:40. It was a challenging after the 10th mile...this is when my foot began to hurt. It's still not 100% but its definitely coming around.






The marathon seems more real to me today than it did a few weeks ago. I have over 300 pounds raised for Teenage Cancer Trust to which I have to send out a ginormous Thank You to all those who have helped contribute. I have my running number and charity top with my name on it so people can cheer me on by using my name. I have friends and family coming to watch and attend the After Party -- if I'm still standing. The nerves have kicked in more so than the excitment right now... Am I prepared for such an event?

No comments:

Post a Comment