Thursday 23 September 2010

Fear

fear [feer] -noun
1. a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
2. concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.
3. that which causes a feeling of being afraid; that of which a person is afraid

What is it that we fear the most? Is it darkness? Loneliness? Defeat? Disease? Or is it the fear of success? Failure?

When we do fear, how do we feel? How do we react?

The fear of success is a complicated one. As individuals, we feel internal bliss when we achieve a goal and obtain personal bests. The fear is how others perceive us to be. Isn't it?

When running the marathon, I fear I won't complete it. I fear I will let others down. I fear that my best just isn't good enough. I feel as though this will be an emotional battle as well as a physical battle to complete.

I admit - the challenge is what I fear the most, but...I love it!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you finish because you want too. Finish or not I'll be the lazy guy on the side lines...not judging you...but applauding you for trying something I am too afraid to try myself...mostly because I don't like flys. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across this a few years ago...

    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some; it is in everyone. And, as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - Marianne Williamson

    I find it really good to read every now and again to remind myself that success is good, that it is mine and no one else's, though others may share in my joy, and that it is not me and my success that makes another feel insecure but only themselves. Fear of success is likely the root of my terrible procrastination, so I just wanted to let you know that I understand!

    And, as you know my thoughts on this, I will add that God in this quote, as in most, can be replaced with whatever your 'highest reverence' may be.

    ReplyDelete